TIFR Science News (TSN) User Guide
TIFR Science News (TSN) is a web application for linking the experimental images, connected to various research topics, to the list of frequently asked questions / discussions about the research topic in question symbolized by and represented by the image. In addition, there will be a serial list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Images appear at the TIFR Home page.
- On clicking the image the Article page is opened.
- Reader can Ask a Question or Related Question on the topic. Reader details are logged and tracked by the system. Any reader whose 2 queries / 2 Related Questions are marked spam by the authors gets black listed and he/she can no further Ask a queries / Related Questions unless white listed by the administrator on email request from reader.
- Authentic author who is the legitimate owner of the image will validate the Related Questions or reply to the queries and Ask a them accordingly. Author has the options to submit, delete, regroup and rephrase a Related Question and also mark Question / Related Question as spam. Also there is provision to close a Related Question thread / Question by the author. Author has the provision to rephrase the answers related to his/her image and also clean up the Related Question threads in the editing mode.
- Reader is informed by email as soon as the question is moderated and answered.
- Related FAQs are grouped and displayed in the article page.
Categories of users
- Reader: Least priveleged user.
- Has read access to all articles as and when they appear at TIFR main webpage.
- Can ask a question at the article pages on the research articles submitted by authors.
- Author: Priveleged academic user and has full rights on his/her research article.
- Can submit a valid article to be displayed at the TIFR main web page.
- Can post answers to reader queries, close queries, close threads on a particular question, mark a reader input as spam, delete a reader Question/Related Question, regroup and / or rephrase user queries/Related Questions.
- Can edit answers at his own article page, clean up threads, delete threads on the article submitted by him/her.
- Editor: Priveleged academic user and has full rights of recommendation on all submitted research articles.
- Can moderate all articles to be displayed at the TIFR main web page and submitted by various authors.
- Can exercise Recommendation of Acceptance / Rejection / Requires Editing on submitted articles.
- Recommendations of Accept and Reject will be forwarded to TSN admin who can finally accept the article for mainpage display. Edit recommendations are looped back to the author and iterated between the editor and the author on multiple submissions, till the article is eligible for acceptance / rejection.
- Administrator: Most privileged user who can manage the application.
- Action of acceptance / rejection on articles upon editor recommendation for use at TIFR main page.
- Activation of user accounts for securely accessing and editing articles by authors.
- Whitelisitng of readers blacklisted by authors for non-valid / spam queries/Related Questions.
- As soon as the author submits the full article and image, the article is marked for review to TSN Editor
- TSN Editor can recommend editing / acceptance / rejection.
- TSN Admin acts upon TSN Editor recommendation
Entities involved :
- Author: Entity owns the article and takes responsibility for the article content.
Role : Edits the article
- TSN Admin : Central TSN administrator and has actionable access to all articles for accepting / rejecting.
Role : TSN Admin can either Accept the article / Reject the article based on TSN Editor recommendation.
- TSN Editor: Entity in charge of semantic check for article content. Will have a separate interface similar to TSN Admin interface but this interface will have access to articles only and to no user accounts
Role : TSN editor can ask author for further editing, recommend approval or recommend rejection
- TSN Editor Recommends Acceptance : TSN Admin accepts the article and the article gets into the Main page display list of articles. Acceptance mail sent to author
- TSN Editor Recommends Rejection : TSN Admin rejects the article and the article gets deleted. Rejection mail sent to author.
- TSN Editor Recommends Editing : Now the Interaction is between the TSN editor and Author till TSN editor takes a recommendation view point of acceptance / rejection. Till that time the article page will not be accessible
User Interface Elements
- For the readers:
- Read - only article page.
- Form for Ask aing Question / Related Question.
- For the authors:
- Form for article & related image upload.
- Preview pages for article & related image uploaded before final submission of article.
- Response form for answering reader queries / Related Questions.
- Secure passwrod protected interface for secure access to submitted article.
- Forms for editing answers related to his / her own article and also cleaning up threads.
- Facility for sign-up for secure access to article.
- Facility for changing the password.
- For the editor:
- Secure login and Form for moderation of article for semantic check of the article and relevance to TIFR web page prior to final upload.
- Form for recommendation of acceptance / rejection / edit required options.
- Form for sending the editor feedback to author for articles in edit mode.
- For the admin:
- Form for action on editor recommended articles.
- Form for login id and password creaton for authors.
- Form for resetting the password created for authors.
- Interface for browsing event / activity logs.
- Facility for whitelisting of blacklisted readers.
Details of User Interface pages for readers
- Input: Input from author at Image upload page
- Page contains:
Data pertaining to the image is retrieved from database and displayed
The reader has to click the hyperlink on the question. On click the QA expands to a group of related posts on the same question. The user can view posts related to the particular question and the reader in turn can click on the 'Ask a Related Question' button to Ask a related question on an answer. Alternatively the reader can click the 'Ask a Question' button to Ask a new question, which will be moderated by the author. Form moderation & answering, the related Question/Question is routed to the author's email for content validation and appending to the thread after submission ofresponse by author.
- Input: Name, Email, Question / Related Question of reader, Security Verification
- Reader enters his name, email id and the Question / Related Question in Question input area.
- Reader must also enter the case-sensitive antispam text provided at the page.
- Input field values' restrictions are listed here
- For a first time reader, an identity verification email is sent to him. An already identified reader, question / related question is sent to author for moderation and response.
- The Author receives an e-mail request for moderation and response whenever a valid question / related question is posted by a reader.
- Name Field: Name input can have alphabets, . and '. No other special characters are allowed.
- E-mail: E-mail has to be a complete, valid and verifiable email address.
- Question input: Question input can have plain text and non-hyperlinked URLs. HTML tags and embedded scripts are not permitted as part of the Question text content.
- Related Question input: Related Question input can have plain text and hyperlinked URLs. It can include html tags. Embedded scripts are not permitted as part of the Related Question content.
Details of User Interface pages for authors
Image upload page:
Used for uploading image and article by the author.
- Input: Computer Code of author, image, caption, article to be uploaded. Input fields' value restrictions are here
- Process: Data given by author is validated. Email sent to author for copyright acceptance and the article is then moderated by the TSN admin before publishing to TIFR website.
- Image upload restrictions: Image upload restrictions: Maximum permitted upload image size is 1 MB and permitted image types are .jpg and .png formats. Images are prefered to be horizontal (i.e. width > height) and aspect ratio has to be 1.33. Preferably upload the image with width x height dimensions of 1366px x 1027px or 1024px x 769px.
Title: Maximum size: 50 characters; no HTML tags
Copyright Declaration: If you do not give copyright to images, we cannot use it. So please accept the copyright declaration sent to you by email response to the image upload.
Caption: Caption can include html links with hyperlinking. For e.g. <a href="http://www.tifr.res.in" > TIFR </a > is permitted as part of the caption text. Maximum length limit of Caption is 250 characters.
Article: Maximum permitted upload article size is 1 MB and article can have text with plain html. No embedded scripts or images are allowed.
Copyright verification and acceptance page:
- Input: The author verifies the image uploaded by him by giving his copyright assurance.
- Process: Once copyright is accepted, the article is a valid uploaded article and it will be moderated by the TSN admin and posted in the TIFR main page.
Preview & final article submission page.
- Input: Yes click and submit at the copyright verification page by the author.
- Page Contains:
Preview of how the image will appear on main page after uploading.
Preview of how the image, caption and article will appear on faq page after uploading.
Provision to give additional references and submission of complete article by the author.
Saved article is sent to the TSN admin for moderation and final publishing to website.
If the author is not happy with the previews, he/she can edit the uploads using back button.
Edit Article Pages
- Input: login id, password at the login page.
- Page contains: image, article, caption and the FAQ details.
- Process: Author can edit the answer and the Related Questions posted on the FAQ page and also clean up threads.
- Input: login id, password from author.
- Process: System validates the login id and password submitted and grants access control
as per the permissions granted by the admin to the author.
- Input: login id, old password, new password from author.
- Process: System validates the login id and old password and prompts for changed password
and confirm password and also enforces strong password selection
- Input: login id.
System validates the email and if the email is of a valid TIFR faculty member, the
TSN login account is created and password autogenerated and sent to author.
The account would require activation from TSN admin before allowing login through login page.
Once account is activated, author can change the password to a personal and secure password.
Details of User Interface pages for TSN editor
- Input: login id & passwd for TSNeditor.
- Process: System validates the login id and old password and prompts for changed password and confirm password and also enforces strong password selection
Details of User Interface pages for TSN Administrator
TSN System Administration:
- Input: login id & passwd for TSNadmin.
System validates the login id and password for tsnadmin
Interface shows author accounts requirign activation by TSN admin.
Interface shows an actionable display of the articles as recommended by the editor for acceptance / rejection. Also shows non-actionable display of articles in edit mode.
Interface also shows blacklisted reader emails with a spamming history for Admin reference and also the count of whitelisting. Spam history is the list of questions submitted by the particular reader in question which article authors have marked as spam. These two parameters help the admin to make an informed decision of whether to whitelist the reader or not.
- Event logs with timestamp.