TSN is a web application meant to help publicize the science that is being done in TIFR. The software allows a scientist to upload an image, a caption, and an article tied to it. There are length restrictions on the article, but they are generous. A random image and its caption from stored articles will be displayed at every call to the TIFR home page. Readers will have the opportunity of asking questions about the material, which the author may answer. The main readers of these articles will be interested college and high school students, other scientists.
- Application Functioning
- TSN Users
- Workflow of Article Submission
- How to successfully upload a TSN article
- Author privileges
- Article images appear at the TIFR Home page clicking on which any reader can reach the article page.
- The reader can read the article
- The reader can 'Ask a Question' or 'Related Question' on the article after a simple initial email validation.
- System sends a response request mail to author.
- Author can login and moderate the question and give a response.
- Reader is informed by email as soon as the question is moderated and answered.
- Related FAQs are grouped and displayed in the article page.
- Reader: Can read articles and ask a question at the article pages on the research articles submitted by authors.
- Author: Privileged academic user who can upload an article, edit the article and give answers to readers' questions.
- Editor: Priveleged academic user who modearates all submitted research articles before live publishing.
- Administrator: Most privileged user who can manage the application.
- Image upload restrictions: Maximum permitted upload image size is 1 MB and permitted image types are .jpg and .png formats. Images are prefered to be horizontal (i.e. width > height) and aspect ratio has to be 1.33. Preferably upload the image with width x height dimensions of 1366px x 1027px or 1024px x 769px.
- Title: Maximum size: 50 characters; no HTML tags
- Copyright Declaration: If you do not give copyright to images, we cannot use it. So please accept the copyright declaration sent to you by email response to the image upload.
- Caption: Caption can include html links with hyperlinking. For e.g. <a href="http://www.tifr.res.in" > TIFR </a > is permitted as part of the caption text. Maximum length limit of Caption is 250 characters.
- Article: Maximum permitted upload article size is 1 MB and article can have text with plain html. No embedded scripts or images are allowed.
The TSN author has the following privileges at the system. Some of them require the user to login and others do not require the author to login.
Actions NOT requiring author to login:
- Sign up for TSN application
- Change password and reset password
Actions requiring author to login:
- Answering reader questions :
As soon as a validated reader posts a questions at the article page, system sends an email request for response to the author of the article. Only answered questions are posted as a Q/A pair at the bottom of the article page. The author can
- rephrase the question
- group the new question as a related question
- regroup a related question as a new question
- post an answer
- delete the question
- mark the question as spam
- close a thread
- close the input of questions to the article
- Editing own article while in article edit mode.
- Clean up the question answer part of his /her own article page