The Department is located in the picturesque Colaba campus of TIFR on the shores of the Arabian Sea in South Mumbai, India. Established as a pioneer Molecular Biology Unit in early 1960, the department has expanded to encompass various branches of modern biology. We have 14 faculty members and a vibrant student strength of over 70 consisting of postdoctoral fellows, PhD, Integrated PhD and Masters degree students.
Professor Obaid Siddiqi (1932-2013)Department of Biological Sciences (DBS) mourns the demise of Prof. Obaid Siddiqi, who passed away on July 26, 2013. It was under the leadership of Obaid Siddiqi that modern biology was introduced in India, and got established in TIFR in the form of Molecular Biology Unit in 1962. This Unit has evolved into the current Department of Biology, which continues to excel in contemporary biology. With his demise, we have lost the founder, who nurtured us to the present state. DBS will organize a meet shortly to consolidate our fond memories of this great scientist.
- Shobhona Sharma, Chairperson, DBS.
- Shubha Tole is awarded the India Today Woman in Science award (see from 6:40 onwards)
- Sandhya Koushika: Building new models and communities (an interview published in JCB)
- Prof. Vidita Vaidya is awarded DBT National Bioscience Award for Career Development 2012
- Prof. Mallik's group publishes in Cell !
- Prof. Tole's group publishes in Nature Neuroscience !
- Prof. Mallik's group publishes in Nature Methods !