The medical section in TIFR is almost six decades old.
- A medical clinic was started way back in 1953 at Old Yacht Club building.
- Dr. J.P.Vazifdar was the Honorary Physician.In 1954 full time medical officers were appointed.
- The clinic catered to the medical needs of not only TIFR staff but also the members of Department of Atomic Energy & Atomic Energy establishment, Trombay.
- In 1960, Medical Section was opened in the permanent building at Colaba.
- Dr. R.V. Jotwani joined as full time Medical Officer, with two nurses and one ward boy to assist.
We have come a long way with more & more facilities made available for patient benefit. Medical Section attends to the health needs of institute members. It aims at providing comprehensive primary health care. Qualified health professionals shoulder the responsibilities. Institute members, Research scholars, Research fellows, people working on different projects, official visitors, conference delegates, VSRP students and casual workers visit the medical section for their health needs. The medical section has a pharmacy with a good stock of all required medicines. Medical section not only provides the basic health care facilities, but it also takes initiative in health promotional activities such as diet counseling and health education. People used to go to Anand Bhavan dispensary for their pathology investigations. This exercise consumed a lot of time. Getting reports in time of emergency was also difficult. Pathology Laboratory was started in TIFR campus in June 2001. This improved the patient turn over for Annual Medical checkups & also saved time & energy.
Keeping in mind “Prevention is better than cure” strategy, Health Promotion Center was started in March 2010.The center was started with the aim to provide health education & awareness, primary prevention of diseases to help promote good health. Both institute members & family members are involved in different activities of the center.