Frequently Asked Questions
1. How much GPA / % is required to
get admission into the VSRP program?
2. I have finished my MSc / am in my final year
of MSc / am in the 2nd year of Engineering … but am interested in
applying to the VSRP program. Your website says only pre-final year
students are allowed to apply. Can I apply ?
3. I will be having my engineering 6th semester exams sometime in June due to which there might be a clash with the research program schedule. could you please clarify as to whether this clash could be avoided. If you can reschedule your program, then the clash can be avoided ?
The VSRP is an VERY INTENSIVE program, and we do not allow students to take off in the middle, or reschedule the timings. If you are NOT free for the ENTIRE period, please do NOT apply for the VSRP program.
4. It is not clear
if any program is available for XXXX Engg. related research or if
pre-final year XXXX Engg. student is eligible for a VSRP project in
the YYYY department.
5. I am doing my MSc physics at
IIT-X.Actually i wanted to know how many students do you take from
We have no fixed number of students that we take from any one institution. However, as we take typically ~40 students from all over India, very often, only one or two students are taken from a single institution, though this depends primarily on the merit of the student.
The students do not decide the project topic as a rule. Depending on your interest and competency, the department will assign you a project guide (if you are selected), and you will together decide on the details of the project. If you would really like to work in a very particular area please mention your interests on the VSRP application form.
7. I am from India, but I am
currently pursuing my undergraduate studies in the US. I am
interested in applying to VSRP.
8. Is it compulsory to have a
detailed knowledge about the particular research topic of interest ?
9. Are we to undertake a project
on the research topic and finish it in the two month visiting time
or is it a chance to read and enhance my knowledge on the particular
10. Will I
have to compulsorily stay at TIFR during the full duration of the